5 Reasons You Need a Family Law Attorney Specializing in Property Division
Property division certainly isn’t cut and dry. Michigan is an equitable division state, meaning assets, property, and debts are divided equitably, meaning what the court deems is “fair”, not necessarily equal. So there are many reasons to hire an experienced attorney to help with this aspect of your divorce, including:
- Your financial future is at stake. Ensuring a stable future is an obvious outcome every person going through divorce wishes for. Through a comprehensive understanding of your current financial status and future needs, you are more likely to achieve this. A family law attorney understandsthe complexity of assets and will educate you about your rights.
- You cannot reach an agreement independently. If you’ve failed to come to an agreement with your spouse, it’s time to get outside help. Family law attorneys act as a buffer between spouses to help de-escalate the situation and reach agreeable outcomes. Our attorneys are committed to championing for our clients under Michigan’s family law statutes and case law.
- Complex nature of assets. No two couples have the same marital property, and division is always on a case-by-case basis. Our attorneys focus on the uniqueness of each case, from straightforward debts and assets, to complex property, such as business ownership, multiple retirement assets, and other factors that tend to complicate division.
- Determine separate and marital assets. Especially in longer-term marriages, it can be tricky to determine what is “separate” and what is “marital” property. An attorney experienced with property division understands the difference and will help differentiate one from the other.
- Reasonable goals and outcomes. The emotions of your divorce and subsequent property division doesn’t affect a skilled family law attorney. We present facts and help you understand the laws that govern property division in Michigan to establish reasonable expectations.