The 2016 MSU Gran Fondo was held in Grand Rapids on June 25, 2016
This year, Grand Rapids hosted the 2016 MSU Gran Fondo on June 25. The annual event brings together cyclists of all ages and abilities for a common cause: raising money toward increasing awareness about, preventing and researching skin cancer.
The Gran Fondo is organized by Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.
As in past years, this year Bike Law Michigan/Sinas Dramis Law Firm sponsored the event.
The Gran Fondo offers riders various route options to accommodate bicyclists of all ages and capabilities, including a 12-Mile Route/Family Ride, 25-Mile Route, 40-Mile Route and 80-Mile Route.
Riders who participate must abide by the “rules of the road,” to ensure that everyone who rides can stay safe while having fun. Some of the rules include:
- Participants must ride their bike helmets at all times.
- Obey the Michigan rules of the road – all bike routes are open to traffic (and motorists who are driving along the route should keep watch for cyclists and give them the space they need to ride safely).
- Riders should stay in a single file line and ride as far to the right as possible.
- Cyclists should not cross the yellow (center) line.
- Always give warning if you are passing a fellow cyclist, and be sure to pass on the left.
- Gran Fondo bicyclists should not wear headphones or earbuds during the ride.
For additional details, visit the MSU Gran Fondo website and watch the video below:
Giving Back to the Grand Rapids Community
Our law firm is honored to be a sponsor of the MSU Gran Fondo, benefiting a worthy cause while simultaneously highlighting the great places to ride bikes in Grand Rapids, as well as the surrounding West Michigan areas.
Sponsoring the Gran Fondo is just one way our firm gives back to the community. Each year, we also hold our Grand Rapids bike helmet event, Lids for Kids. In 2016, we gave away 439 new bicycle helmets to children in the area, while also promoting the importance of bicycle safety. In a city where there have been too many bicycle accidents over the past few years, this event is our way of doing our part to keep Grand Rapids children safe, and hopefully prevent the occurrence of a brain injury should a bike crash happen.
Through the Gran Fondo, Lids for Kids and other events, our personal injury firm is proud to support and promote a community that has meant so much to us over the years. We look forward to becoming even more involved in Grand Rapids!