What to Do If You’re Involved in a Truck Accident
Being involved in a truck accident with a large truck – whether it’s a dump truck, tractor-trailer, or 18-wheeler – can be a traumatic experience. The personal injury attorneys at Sinas Dramis Law Firm have helped many Michigan families over the years with their complicated semi-truck accident claims.
If you’ve been in a collision with a large truck, here’s what you should do:
- Stay calm.
- Call police/law enforcement to alert them to the accident. If you or anyone else has been injured, call for an ambulance.
- If it is possible to move your car out of the roadway, try to do so safely.
- Document all injuries, aches, and pains you might be experiencing at the time, even if you think they are minor.
- Write down as much information as possible. Items to note include the following:
- All injuries, pains, etc., that you and your passengers are experiencing,
- The exact location of the accident,
- Time, weather conditions, direction vehicles were traveling at the time of the accident,
- A description of how the accident occurred,
- License plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident,
- Description of the damage sustained to each vehicle involved in the accident,
- Statements made by other drivers admitting responsibility for the crash,
- Statements made by other drivers or passengers stating that they were not injured as a result of the accident,
- Name, badge number, phone number of all police officers/law enforcement officers who arrive at the scene,
- Name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance information of all other drivers involved in the accident,
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses who observed the accident and/or arrived at the scene of the accident, and
- Observations as to whether drugs and/or alcohol contributed to the accident.