Michigan Dangerous Roadway:
Heavily Traveled & Congested Area
During the past several years, I-94 US-127 accidents in Jackson have become all too common, leading many to speculate why the area has steadily become known as a dangerous road in Michigan.
So far this year, there have been numerous accidents in Jackson near I-94 and US-127. However, one of the most serious incidents occurred in June 2015, when there was a catastrophic nine-vehicle pileup at the interchange, including three jackknifed semi-trucks. The crash sent 11 people to the hospital. And just a few days after that accident, several crashes closed eastbound I-94 between US-127 and Cooper Street.
Notably, I-94 is listed on the National Highway System — a network of roads designated as crucial to the U.S. economy and mobility. As a result, I-94 frequently is the site of car accidents and semi-truck accidents.
I-94 US-127 Accidents In Jackson: The Numbers
In 2016, there were 161 motor vehicle crashes at I-94 US-127 in Jackson. Of these, 18 accidents involved semi-trucks. Other 2016 statistics:
- 13 were hit-and-run crashes.
- 80 were rear-end collisions.
- 33 accidents happened near entrance and exit ramps.
- most crashes occurred in January.
- 17 collisions were caused by drivers age 65-74.
- the most dangerous time to drive in the area is 5-7 p.m. (28 crashes total).
Compare this to 2015, when there were 154 motor vehicle crashes around the I-94 and US-127 interchange. Of these, 19 were semi-truck accidents. Other 2015 statistics:
- most crashes occurred in June.
- 13 were hit-and-runs.
- 22 crashes were caused by drivers age 60-64.
- 40 collisions occurred near entrance and exit ramps.
- the most dangerous time to drive in the area is 5-7 p.m. (44 crashes total).
- 71 were rear-end crashes.
Why The Increase In Accidents At I-94 And US-127?
I-94 is a major east-west shipping route between Detroit and Chicago. As such, it sees a fair share of semi-truck accidents, including where the interstate meets US-127 in Jackson, around the Cooper Street exit. Meanwhile, as the above 2015 and 2016 statistics show, passenger vehicles are also involved in many accidents on I-94 and US-127.
Based on an analysis of crash reports and numbers, there appear to be several reasons for so many I-94 US-127 accidents:
- a steady and heavy amount of traffic along I-94.
- a steady amount of traffic to and from a retail shopping center near the I-94 US-127 interchange.
- short exit and entrance ramps.
- congested exit and entrance ramps.
- distracted driving — 28 crashes in 2015 and 27 crashes in 2016 were caused by drivers age 16-20 and, unfortunately, younger drivers are known for using their cell phones behind the wheel (talking, emailing, texting, social media) — notably, I-94 is a popular route for students traveling to and from Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo.
- impatient drivers.
- speeding (for both passenger vehicles and semi-trucks).
To help avoid an accident on I-94 US-127 in Jackson, it is recommended that motorists:
- be alert and aware of their surroundings.
- drive the speed limit.
- keep their attention on the roadway (i.e., put down the cell phone).
If you’ve been injured in an accident at I-94 and US-127, or anywhere in Michigan, the Sinas Dramis Law Firm is here to help protect your right to no-fault PIP benefits and any other compensation to which you may be entitled. Contact our Lansing car accident lawyers or Grand Rapids auto accident attorneys today for a free consultation.